Saturday, March 16, 2013

St. Patrick's Day...almost!


I have been so excited for St. Patrick's Day this year. I've always had a thing for Ireland. Perhaps it's because I discovered my name on St. Patty's Day decorations when I was growing up. What's not to like about a holiday that has your name written all over it, literally.

So, when my Mom came to me a couple years ago and asked me where I'd like to take a trip to, my response was quick and easy...IRELAND. We decided to make it a goal and founded our Reminisce jewelry company to help us get there. In June 2012, my 2 daughters, my Mom, and I flew to Ireland and spent 15 days there. It was an absolutely incredible experience and my love for Ireland and it's people has only grown since then. So, St. Patrick's Day will be a significant holiday in my household from now on, I imagine.

 I thought I'd post a few pictures from our trip, and share what we'll be doing tomorrow to celebrate. For breakfast, I'll be making a "Full Irish Breakfast" which will consist of streaky bacon (as the Irish call our American bacon), roasted tomatoes, sauted mushrooms, eggs, toast, and yogurt. In Ireland, you would also get black and white pudding, but I'll pass on this for two reasons; 1 - can't find them here and 2 - yuck! For lunch, we will be dining on Irish Soda Bread and a Potato Leek Soup. I am using the recipe I found on this blog. http://www.irishamericanmom.com/2012/02/06/potato-and-leek-soup/ I found it interesting that any soup we had in Ireland was all blended together. Vegetable soup was delicious, probably because you had no idea what veggies you were actually eating. For dinner, I'm making Shepherd's Pie. I'm not using lamb, though I was tempted. I did actually eat Shepherd's pie in a little bistro in the town of Cashel. It was so delicious! I couldn't find an Irish dessert recipe. The desserts in Ireland were so yummy and had less sugar and a richer chocolate taste. Our chocolate brownies and cakes don't compare.

There will surely be a lot of Irish Music, and perhaps a movie showing of P.S. I Love You. Not exactly Irish, but it has Ireland in it so that counts, right?

No comments: