Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Today I was a surgeon.



I know we've all had those days when we wished we actually had a full-time job working at an office or store somewhere rather than being a stay-at-home mom. We all know that this is MORE than a full-time job. Today, I saw things a little differently and thought I'd share.

Ever watched Dirty Jobs? I am fascinated by this show and love to see what he's going to be doing next. One day, I thought...how fun that he gets to do different jobs every day instead of the same thing day in, day out. Well...today I was a surgeon. I sewed up Hayden (my daughter's stuffed wolf) who had a gaping hole in his leg. She was so distraught and I was glad I could help. Little needle and thread action...wam, bam, good as new. Smiling child! Some days I get to be a sculptor and make creations out of playdo. Sometimes, I get to be a painter, and make masterpieces with the help of Crayola. I realized that in the past I've been a taxi cab driver, a veternarian, a chef, a dishwasher, a maid, a laundress, a seamstress, an accountant, a construction worker, a fireman, a police officer, a psychologist, a teacher, a landscaper, a musician, and many more.

I no longer envy Mr. Mike from Dirty Jobs. I haven't been up to my knees in mud, or up to my eyeballs in swarming bees, but I've done enough. Each day I have the opportunity to be something else, do a different job, wear a different hat. All are important in my life and my family's.

So...Today I was a surgeon.

1 comment:

Becky G said...

I really like your insight in this post! It makes our jobs sound much more interesting and fun. And if we look at it that way our jobs ARE interesting and FUN!!! Thanks!