Monday, May 12, 2008

Alta Cannon


Jason's Grandma died last Thursday. She was 84 years old. Her funeral is today so I have been reflecting on the memories I have of her. She might have been 5 feet tall, but only if she was on her tiptoes. She probably weighed at her heaviest 100 lbs. She was so tiny, yet so full of spunk! Grandma Cannon was ever a lady and inspired those around her to be such. She welcomed me into her home 12 years ago with loving open arms and has treated me like one of her own since then.

She couldn't let you leave her house without having had a Pepsi and a treat of some kind. She had a way with flowers and needles. She made things beautiful!

I learned something new about her last night at her viewing that I didn't know. Grandma's mother died when she was 18 months old. She really never knew her. Grandpa Cannon said that she asked, "How will I know my Mother when I see her?" He replied, "You won't know her, but she'll know you!" What a wonderful thought to think about last night as we celebrated Mother's Day. She was celebrating with her mother whom she didn't get the opportunity to know here on Earth.

What a comfort to have the gospel in my life at a time such as this. I am grateful for the long term perspective that I am able to have because of the restoration of the true church on the Earth today.

We love you and miss you Grandma!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your family's loss! This is a very sweet entry.

Mortimer Family said...

Erin, I don't know how well you remember me, but I'm Delon's wife, Amy. I just saw your blog name on Sharee's and wanted to check it out. Your girls are beautiful, and the little guy is so sweet. You have a great family.